When I go into the packie i usually have a game plan. First, it's always my intention to get a variety. That could mean a Dark beer and a light beer, or a 6 pack and a pint. This time around i went for the pint because i really get excited about doppelbock. I just can't pass it up; so when i checked out my local packies pint selection, the Troegenator was a no brainer.
Presentation: The bottle design is pretty neat, it's really nature based. At first glance the figure on the bottle looks like a demon of some sort but after more inspection i believe that its inspired by pagan art, and of course the horns being those of a goat. The design is nothing special but it was good enough for me to spot it so it played its purpose. I poured into my classic glass stein, and got a beautiful burgundy color with a creamy head that diminished fast.
Smell: You get a strong malt and maybe a little bit of a salty taste in there too. You can even pick up a faint alcohol spice scent; So far so good.
Taste:
Dominant Flavor: It resembles a "sweet stout" and isn't really like other doppelbocks i've had. I mean yes the dark fruit and doppelbock sweetness are there but something is very different about it, i felt like i was drinking the "Black and Tan's" sinister cousin; a Brown ale mixed with a stout. This is because this guy is HEAVY unlike a traditional doppelbock. It didn't make sense at first.
Crispness: Comes off pretty dry, followed by an expansion of the dryness across the palette. It was interesting. The Hops aren't completely masked by the hops.
Aftertaste: After a few gulps you get a taste of bitter fruit. It's very enjoyable along with the sticky sugar that stays in your mouth for a good amount of time. After i finished the bottle i could literally feel the sugar drying on my lips.
Overall Bitterness: It was average and not very hoppy. I thought it was just enough to satisfy my palate. The bitterness that was there came from the malt taste and wan't anything special but balances out the sweetness.
Drinkability: This beer is very unique and it's definitely the heaviest beer i've had to date. The alcohol sneaks up on you at 8.2% above. I found that the alcohol taste sat at bottom of stein, which made my last quarter very spicy and rough. Not just the alcohol is heavy but so is the body. This hit me in the gut hard, and like i said before i felt like i was having a Black and Brown. I get the overall vibe that this is an American Brewery trying a german style and to the most degree, succeeding. It's not bad, but it sure isn't a German style doppelbock. There is no mood setter with this one, which was unfortunate.
Overall: I'd consider this beer worth the $5 i spent on it, nothing was wrong with it. I think it was really good and i'd definitely grab one if you come across it. To be honest it's not my favorite doppelbock, but its nice to have one that is a little bit different. It's very strong, so be ready for a the heavy taste and body. In the end though this is a quality beer and i can't help but appreciate it.
Taste:
Dominant Flavor: It resembles a "sweet stout" and isn't really like other doppelbocks i've had. I mean yes the dark fruit and doppelbock sweetness are there but something is very different about it, i felt like i was drinking the "Black and Tan's" sinister cousin; a Brown ale mixed with a stout. This is because this guy is HEAVY unlike a traditional doppelbock. It didn't make sense at first.
Crispness: Comes off pretty dry, followed by an expansion of the dryness across the palette. It was interesting. The Hops aren't completely masked by the hops.
Aftertaste: After a few gulps you get a taste of bitter fruit. It's very enjoyable along with the sticky sugar that stays in your mouth for a good amount of time. After i finished the bottle i could literally feel the sugar drying on my lips.
Overall Bitterness: It was average and not very hoppy. I thought it was just enough to satisfy my palate. The bitterness that was there came from the malt taste and wan't anything special but balances out the sweetness.
Drinkability: This beer is very unique and it's definitely the heaviest beer i've had to date. The alcohol sneaks up on you at 8.2% above. I found that the alcohol taste sat at bottom of stein, which made my last quarter very spicy and rough. Not just the alcohol is heavy but so is the body. This hit me in the gut hard, and like i said before i felt like i was having a Black and Brown. I get the overall vibe that this is an American Brewery trying a german style and to the most degree, succeeding. It's not bad, but it sure isn't a German style doppelbock. There is no mood setter with this one, which was unfortunate.
Overall: I'd consider this beer worth the $5 i spent on it, nothing was wrong with it. I think it was really good and i'd definitely grab one if you come across it. To be honest it's not my favorite doppelbock, but its nice to have one that is a little bit different. It's very strong, so be ready for a the heavy taste and body. In the end though this is a quality beer and i can't help but appreciate it.
Rating: 8.5/10.0
Follow @Bobmomento




0 comments:
Post a Comment