Okay to start off the weekend I'll be putting up one of two reviews. This morning I bring you Spaten's Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, said by Spaten to be a brew with "a refreshing taste sensation of a special sort. Now before I go any further my pictures I had for this were deleted or misplaced sometime in the past few days so my apologies for the absence of photos as of the 20th, I have another pint of the brew and will post pictures during my second review I have lined up. These little guys come cheaply at $2.50 for one pint and 9 fl oz so I went for two.
Appearance: The bottle comes off as a standard pinter with the looks of a budgeted champagne bottle. It has gold foil surrounding the neck with a unbranded dull gold bottle cap. The body label has minimal markings aside from the portrait of a proud old monk looking man staring at an empty stein with a hop pouch and keys bordered with the beer's name. The brew once poured keeps a white beige head on top of a pure golden wheat body. This body is imbued with a cloudy mist in it as the style is known for, has a hint of crispness tainted in there somewhere and despite being owned by Spaten it looks nothing like one of their products.
Smell: Apparent wheaty overtone with a bit of malt and some hops at the lower end of the spectrum. Some olding bananas are also apparent in here if you really needed to put a name on it but it's subtle. A very mellow and enjoyable aroma this turned out to be.
Taste:
-Hoppiness: The zesty hops will shows it's character midway through a sip and linger into the end of the aftertaste trying to compete with the malt with the edge going to these regal hops. A bit exciting but nothing distasteful here.
-Flavors: A bit of orange zest is what I got immediately from this brew, that and a good deal of wheat. The meddling malt ties in halfway through and holds its ground with the bready and caramel traits in it. In the end the tastes will turn into a nice crisp dry yeast malt. Tons of carbonation here to keep this guy fresh for a bit in the glassware.
-Presence: The light to semi medium body of this handcrafted brew will through both crisp malting and hops at your taste buds with the enjoyable hops for a change taking the edge in the battle of balance. They remain with you without a dysfunctional bitterness found in lighter beers of the sorts.
Gardner Factor: This brew for sure is to be enjoyed with any meal small or large or even by itself. The absence of a large impacting alcoholic taste will be sure to excite those who are used to the light clear bottled beers of North America especially with the more regal taste. It feels like a summer time beer that can drunk anytime if so desired. Some pros for me is that it would be a pleasure knocking a few of these bottles down with nothing but good light tastes where ever I might be. There's no cons from me on this one folks.
-Overall: A good brew with no apparent cons, just make sure the bottles you pick up haven't been sitting forever in that package store. This one is definitely a must for everyone for all seasons.
-Rating: 8.9/10.0 - Great

0 comments:
Post a Comment